Updated: Apr 13
Most of us have a very close relationship with dry shampoo, sometimes too close but honestly there are bigger problems in the world. There’s truly no such thing as having too much dry shampoo. That being said, no dry shampoo technique is the same for everyone. I'm sharing a slew of secrets to the hidden world of dry shampoo so you can get the most out of your product, and your locks.
First thing’s first you have to pick a dry shampoo that’s right for you. I really believe you can never have too many options in the world of dry shampoo. YES! I promote a dry shampoo but it's not one size fits all and I love to help others find what works for them!
This little hair hustler has 3 key ingredients that make it high-performing and will always be your ace in the hole for unbeatable tresses. Even when you are on the go, you can be sure to knock out oil and let your locks shine! It’ll leave your hair perfect for up to a week so you get the most out of your blowouts and it leaves no residue! It’s paraben, sulfate, and cyclic silicones free, safe for color-treated hair, and of course never tested on animals. Get yours here!
If you have dark hair and don’t want to worry about any residue, Verb’s Dry Shampoo Dark as you can probably tell from the title, has a darker spray so there’s absolutely no powdery white film. It’s a gentle dry shampoo that will extend your blowout for another day and adds light volume!
For emergency situations these little nuggets are awesome - IGK’s Black Charcoal Dry Shampoo Hair Blotting Tissues. They’re portable hair blotting tissues infused with black charcoal powder, just run one towel throughout your hair to absorb excess oil on the go without disturbing your style or your routine.
Now what we’ve all been waiting for, the hacks you’ve been missing out on. Let me start with the basics, the amount of dry shampoo you use. O'momma.... I know it’s easy to go spray crazy but start with a little then build as you need. You don’t want to ruin your locks with too much product. This will make your hair feel weighed down and can leave product residue which is the last thing you want. Start with a little and see how your hair reacts then you can always add more.
1. If you’re trying to extend your wash day for a few extra days right when your hair starts feeling greasy section your hair and spray the dry shampoo at least 3-6 inches away from the root. Let the dry shampoo sit for about 30 seconds to absorb the oil then massage it into your hair. This will absorb the excess oils without weighing down your hair.
2. If you have fine or flat hair and you feel your locks are getting flat dry shampoo is here to the rescue. Section your hair and spray dry shampoo to your roots. After you’ve sprayed take a blow dryer and work the dry shampoo into your hair, it’ll tame the oil and give you some extra volume! If you’re on the go and you don’t have time for the blow dryer, just flip your hair and spray your dry shampoo. Then wait 30 seconds and massage it in for effortless volume.
3. If you have fine hair or hair that won’t hold a curl or style spray some dry shampoo immediately after curling. This will add some grit to your hair so the curls resist falling. There’s nothing more tragic than spending a ridiculous amount of time to curl your hair only for them to fall moments later. If that’s still not working then I recommend spraying a small amount of dry shampoo before styling your hair!
4. Another travesty that can happen after styling is using too much oil or product and then your hair feels weighed down or looks greasy. But there’s no problem that dry shampoo can’t fix, spray some dry shampoo throughout your hair and it’ll absorb the excess product.
5. If you feel your hair getting greasy at night, don’t wait until the morning to add dry shampoo! Those in-between hours of sleeping on your hair will definitely make a difference. Go ahead and section your hair and spray a little bit of dry shampoo to your roots and sleep with your hair in a loose braid. This will definitely give you another day in between washes!
Now that you know my secrets put them to the test!
Momma, does washing your hair feel like an extra household chore right now? Let me help with how I trained my hair from everyday washes to now washing every 4-5 days.
Ready for your most fabulous fall hair yet take this Healthy Hair Quiz. Protect Your Locks & Complete Your Look With These Exciting Products but first, need to better understand how it works... I got you covered here!!
Be sure to share your fall looks with me on social #sisterfriendhair.